After Monday’s post, I received a few questions about what I eat in a week on Faster Way to Fat Loss and how I meal prep for the week ahead. While I’m definitely not a nutritionist and I don’t always eat in a week what I should eat in a week, in Faster Way to Fat Loss I have found a routine that works for me.
Before we dive in, a few important things:
(1) As I mentioned on Monday and above, I have been doing Faster Way to Fat Loss. In all honesty, I haven’t been as good at eating what and how the program recommends I eat – mostly due to recent celebrations (hellooooo I turned 29 I feel like that deserves a solid month of booze and carbs!) and partially because of travel (see: Buenos Aires). However, I do try to stick to FWTFL, so what I eat in a week is largely dictated by that program.
(2) I receive the Faster Way to Fat Loss program for free and I may make commission if you sign up for the program using my link. I am in no obligation to post about it. I’m creating this post because (a) y’all asked me what I eat in a week and (b) I have really enjoyed the program thus far and I think some of y’all would benefit from it too!
(3) Not really related to food (at all actually) but my friend Kasey of Running in Heels is actually styling this exact same top over on her blog today too. We wanted to show y’all how we style the same piece with two totally different senses of style. Plus, it’s on sale. So yay.
(4) I know the shirt says that it’s sold out on the widget, but the widget is wrong. I checked last night and it’s in stock in all sizes… so don’t fret!
So I started Faster Way to Fat Loss about 9 weeks ago. I was really diligent the first 5 weeks… and then the last 4 have been a parade of celebratory carbs and booze so I’ve slightly fallen off of the wagon. HOWEVER I have really enjoyed the program and I did see results during those first 5 weeks.
Sure those results have been negated by the past 4 weeks but whatever IT’S PROGRESS.
What is Faster Way to Fat Loss?
Faster Way to Fat Loss (or FWTFL)is a 6-week fitness and nutrition program. It uses a combination of targeted workouts and macro cycling to burn fat while gaining muscle and it’s made for both men and women.
That’s why it’s called Faster Way to Fat Loss. It’s about losing fat, not weight.
While you can use it for weight loss (I do), the focus is really not on weight. In fact, you’re heavily discouraged from weighing yourself once the 6-week program begins. Instead, it’s all about how you look, how your clothes fit, and – most importantly – how you feel.
What is Macro-Cycling?
“What is macro cycling?” was my biggest question before starting Faster Way to Fat Loss.
Actually, second biggest. My biggest question was “what are macros”. Yes, I googled both.
Gonna answer that second question first.
Macros are carbohydrates, proteins, and fats.
Macro-cycling is similar to carb-cycling, but instead of changing the quantity (in grams) or percentage of carbs you eat each day, you’re changing the breakdown of carbs, fats, and proteins you eat each day.
Faster Way to Fat Loss includes workouts specifically developed for the various stages of macro-cycling that complement each day’s macronutrient breakdown to help you lose fat and gain muscle faster.
Still not making sense?
Here’s my week, as per Faster Way to Fat Loss:
Monday – normal proteins, high fats, low carbs (less than 50g of net carbs, meaning carbohydrates – fiber = less than 50g). On Mondays, I focus on high-intensity workouts, like kickboxing or HIIT classes at Equinox (or at home!).
Tuesdays – normal proteins, high fats, low carbs (less than 50g of net carbs, meaning carbohydrates – fiber = less than 50g). On Tuesdays, I do interval workouts, typically on the elliptical or treadmill at Equinox.
Wednesday – normal proteins, carbs, and fats. On these days, I aim to consume 50% carbs, 30% fats, and 20% proteins. I take advantage of the increase in carbs by doing strength training at Equinox (or at my house if I’m feeling lazy!) these days.
Thursday – normal proteins, carbs, and fats. As on Wednesdays, I aim to consume 50% carbs, 30% fats, and 20% proteins. While the program recommends doing strength training on Thursdays, I tend to like to do a barre class at Equinox Thursday instead. If I sleep through that class (which I tend to do as it’s at 6AM, I try to go for a 30-45 minute walk sometime throughout the day and do some squats at home instead).
Friday – low macros / rest day, consuming 25% fewer macros across the board. AKA if you have 100g of carbs on a normal day, you’re eating only 75g of carbs on Fridays. Faster Way to Fat Loss recommends doing a lower-intensity workout like a walk, a barre class, or a pilates class or just taking Fridays as rest days. I’m honestly a pretty lazy human by the time Friday rolls around, so I take advantage of the rest day suggestion and become one with my couch.
What about the weekends?
Saturday – normal proteins, carbs, and fats. As on Wednesdays and Thursdays, I aim to consume 50% carbs, 30% fats, and 20% proteins and do some strength training. Saturday strength training is focused on legs and glutes, so I like to do a whole morning to just tire those muscles out. At the very least, I do strength training and a walk, but I like to throw in a pilates class or barre class on top of those whenever possible.
Sunday – another rest day, on which I consume 25% fewer macros (so 25% fewer proteins, 25% fewer carbs, and 25% fewer fats). As implied with “rest days”, there’s no set FWTFL workout for Sundays. Instead, I like to take a walk over to Highland Park Village or along the Katy Trail with a friend, mostly to get myself out of the house.
What You’re Allowed to Eat on Faster Way to Fat Loss
One thing I really like about this program is that it allows you to eat whatever you friggin please. Honestly. Booze? YAAS. Cake? Sure. Chips and queso? Why not. It’s all about the amount you consume of each macro.
You’re 100% cool to go out and have a night like I had last night with friends at Lounge 31. As it was a Tuesday (a low carb day!), I focused on low-carb fatty dishes like cheese and salmon. Because I had eaten so few carbs throughout the day, I was able to fit in “a few” spicy skinny margaritas.
One thing to note is that this program uses intermittent fasting. That means you eat in an 8-hour window and then you don’t eat for 16 hours. You can consume up to 50 calories without breaking your fast, so I typically opt for a cup of coffee with a scoop of Vital Proteins and some NutPods almond milk creamer in the mornings. I break my fast around noon with lunch, have a small snack when I get home around 5:30, and then eat dinner around 7PM.
That schedule often gets a bit messed up when I’m on vacation or friends are visiting, but I try to stick to it whenever possible.
What I Eat in a Week on Faster Way to Fat Loss
Okay now that we’ve covered the basics, it’s finally time to dive into the meat of this post: what I eat in a week on Faster Way to Fat Loss.
What I Eat on Low-Carb Days on Faster Way to Fat Loss
Let’s start with the beginning of the week. I treat Mondays and Tuesdays like I’m on Keto. That means fatty proteins and low carbs. I tend to avoid fruit on these days, though I might have a handful of berries for dessert if I need something sweet.
- Low-Carb Lunch: Salmon (my favorite recipe is saved to my “recipes” highlight on Instagram), typically with brussels sprouts, asparagus, or a small garden salad, tossed with olive oil.
- Low-Carb Snack: I recently discovered Trader Joe’s Gluten-Free Crispbread. For a cracker, these are pretty low-carb and packed with healthy fats. My favorite snack is one of these crackers with avocado smashed on top (with sea salt!). If I’m particularly hungry, I might eat this with a fried egg.
- Low-Carb Dinner: By this point in the day, I’m usually running out of wiggle room with my protein count… and really craving veggies. I like to make a giant garden salad with 1-2 eggs and some olive oil or have my favorite shakshuka recipe.
- Low-Carb Dessert: as I mentioned above, I avoid fruit on low-carb days… unless I’m having a handful of berries for dessert. Typically though, I like to end the day with a cup of caffeine-free tea (my favorites are camomile and mint!).
What I Eat on Regular-Macro Days on Faster Way to Fat Loss
Wednesdays, Thursdays, and Saturdays allow a bit more freedom on Faster Way to Fat Loss. I plan most of my funtivities with friends for these nights as I can indulge a bit more in some of my favorite foods: chips, queso, margaritas, and wine!
- Regular-Macro Lunch: sometimes I’ll eat leftover shakshuka for lunch, sometimes my favorite cauliflower fried rice recipe (I use chicken instead of pork – so good!), sometimes I’ll make myself a salad or eat Indian food with colleagues (my favorite). On Saturdays, I break my fast with brunch. That means I’m eating omelettes or avocado toast with eggs. Sometimes eggs benedict if I’m really craving it though!
- Regular-Macro Snack: granny smith apples. I eat one legit every day. Well, every regular-macro day. They’re one of my favorite foods. Random, I know. If I’m particularly hungry, I’ll have a granny smith apple and a bit of popcorn. Sometimes “a bit” turns into “a bag” of popcorn, but hey: baby steps.
- Regular-Macro Dinner: this meal has the greatest variety. Sometimes, I’ll grab pho or Mexican food with friends (I typically eat tacos or fajitas when we eat Mexican food). If I’m staying in, I either eat leftovers or whip up something fun. One of my favorite healthy meals is my shrimp scampi recipe – it’s so low carb, it leaves me plenty of room for a glass of wine (or two!). Some other favorites include my turkey chili and enchilada soup.
- Regular-Macro Dessert: I mentioned this on Monday, but I love Trader Joe’s Fruit Frenzy Bars. I have one almost every regular-macro night for dessert. And sometimes a cup of tea too.
What I Eat on Low-Macro Days on Faster Way to Fat Loss
Low-macro days are rest days (Fridays and Sundays), so I tend to take it pretty easy. In all honesty, I really tend to completely blow the idea of “low-macros” out of the water on Fridays (aka eat normal macros) and then make up for that on Sundays.
Fridays, I like to go for lunch with colleagues and then sometimes also dinner with friends. As a result, the foods I choose to eat on Fridays tend to be pretty similar to the ones I eat on regular-macro days. To help make up the difference, I typically forego my fruit frenzy bar for dessert and I try to only have 1 drink (at most) on Friday nights. Try being the operative word in that last sentence.
Sundays, however, I typically eat brunch around noon, a mid-afternoon granny smith apple, and then have a small snack-sized dinner around 7PM. For brunch, I like to eat avocado toast with eggs, eggs benedict, or an omelette (and a mimosa!). Thus, for dinner, I eat something pretty small: either a small plate of shakshuka or a garden salad with chicken, tossed with oil and vinaigrette or with lemon juice.
And that’s my week in a nutshell! I hope you found it informative – especially for those of you who were curious about Faster Way to Fat Loss and macro-cycling.
Do you have any questions about Faster Way to Fat Loss or macro-cycling? Let me know in the comments below!
Win a $400 Amazon Gift Card!
Win a $400 Amazon Gift Card by just giving a few minutes of your time!
How to enter:
Entering is easy! Use the widget below to enter. You can earn points for every action you take (follow someone on Instagram, click through to a blog post, etc) The more actions you take, the more points you win! The widget will randomly pick a winner, so your odds increase with the more points you have!
Make sure to actually do an action as we check to make sure you really entered correctly and will not award prizes to people lying.
As a heads-up, by entering this giveaway, you are opting into all the hosts’ email newsletters. You may opt out of their newsletters at anytime after receiving them.